Thursday, January 20, 2011

"Oh Tdank doo, Tdank doo, Mommy!"


So I took Alice to take off her cast yesterday. I was really worried because Alice hates--HATES-- the doctor. She thinks every person who wears a white coat or scrubs is coming to give her a shot. But I had high hopes--she was so good when we got her cast on. I think that was mainly because Joe was with us. She is SUCH a Daddy's girl!

Anyway, she was being really good and didn't even freak out when we went to the waiting room. We were called right away to go get x-rays. I forgot about the x-rays, or I would have insisted that Joe come with us again. I couldn't hold Alice while she was getting the x-rays, and again I worried. For no reason apparently. Alice was a trooper! She stood by the x-ray table and held so still all by herself! It helped that they "let" her wear an apron (it was really a lead apron to protect her from the radiation. But she loved it).

They took us in a little room and someone came in with the saw--yes a SAW to cut off the cast.

Just kidding. It really didn't look like that. It looked more like this. It looked and sounded like a vacuum cleaner. The only thing in the whole world that Alice is scared of is the vacuum cleaner.

Has anybody tried to hold a toddler while someone approached them with a saw? A saw that looked and sounded like a vacuum cleaner?And then let them cut into your child? I mean, I know they're trained, but well. They could miss. Not gonna lie. I was scared. Poor Alice was all tense and shaking and crying. I felt really bad. But then it was over.

As soon as she realized why they were cutting into her cast, Alice calmed right down and allowed them to pry and cut it off. As soon as it was off, she looked down at her arm, flexed it a couple of times and then said, "Ohhh! Tdank doo, tdank doo, tdank doo (thank you)!" to the nurse. About twenty times, at least. She kept saying it until the nurse said you're welcome back.

The nurse left, and Alice turned to me and said, "Oh Tdank dooo, Tdank doo, Mommy!" And then went for the gummy bears in her bag. With her cast arm. She was such a happy girl!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, sounds like you guys had a big day yesterday. What a brave little girl and so sweet. Glad to hear she's doing good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! That's the cutest story! She's such a sweetie.

    Coming from a kid who had two broken arms - those saws can't cut you even if they touch you. I don't know how they make em that way, but anyway. (Doesn't make it any less scary though.)

    ReplyDelete

What It's Like Grading Papers: A Play in Two Scenes

Cast:  • Person #1 • Person #2 • John Doe • Person #3 Person #1 is sitting at a desk, writing something. Person #2 Enters with a Joh...