Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Update

I used to write stuff on here. Now I post pictures. Not that that is a bad thing, but I have realized that I am officially a mom. And I'm okay with that because Alice is so stinkin' cute. But I will write some more eventually, even though I don't really think everyone reads my really long posts. Anyway, on with the pictures.
I finally got a picture of Alice smiling! We have been trying forever, but she just wouldn't cooperate or the two second delay on the camera was two seconds too long. But we finally go one! I can't believe how much she has changed already!

This year was Alice's first Roundup. Joe was unable to attend (thank you very much, Elder's Quorum), so I went alone, and I am telling you, I never want to be a single parent. It was so hard to lug her, her stroller, and her diaper bag around all by myself. She was really cranky, but I think it was because she was hungry and hot--she's just like her dad that way. I fed her at the parade, and then she laid down and slept through the whole darn thing. I was joking that I was having Mr. Holland's Opus moments because she slept through the sirens and the horns and the bands. Everyone thought it was really funny and clever. I was totally serious and convinced that my daughter was deaf and I would have to learn how to sign and have some sort of disconnect with her that would last until John Lennon died and I took my high school band to play for all the deaf kids and I sang that song that goes "beautiful, beautiful, beautiful, beautiful Sean" except I would substitute Alice's name for Sean's, because it would be a touching mother daughter moment. But then I coughed. And she woke up. Go figure. She'll sleep through sirens, horns, candy hitting her head, and bag pipes, but she won't sleep through Mommy coughing. Anyway, the parade was the same as always: long, hot, and long, and I loved every minute of it simply because it's Lehi, my hometown, and it's tradition. Check out that hat! It cracked me up!


We took Alice to meet Great Grandma Hardwick a couple of weeks ago. She is Joe's grandma, and the sweetest woman in the world. She wasn't able to see Alice before now for various family reasons, but she finally met her, and it was love at first sight. Grandma held her and put her to sleep, something that very few people can do, except for me. Grandma said she had Grandpa Hardwick's lips. It was very sweet, and something I am so glad we got on film. Grandma doesn't let us take pictures of her often. In fact, I don't think she knew I was taking these. I think Alice will be grateful we did.

3 comments:

  1. That parade moment is hilarious! :) Maybe you could get away with sneaking her to school then. She's sleep through the kids and all their racket, right? Too fun! Can't wait to come back and see her again...and you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your Mr. Holland Opus day dream, lol!

    She is a little cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that smile! Looks like she was going to say "Hey...Yeah!"

    ReplyDelete

What It's Like Grading Papers: A Play in Two Scenes

Cast:  • Person #1 • Person #2 • John Doe • Person #3 Person #1 is sitting at a desk, writing something. Person #2 Enters with a Joh...