Friday, October 26, 2007

Can't Get Enough


So I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but I love Barry White. Not only do I love Barry White, but I love dancing to Barry White. Not only do I love dancing to Barry White, I love dancing. And that leads me to what I would like to share with the world today.

I have a policy in my classroom. It's called the "Sing For Your Supper Policy." Here is an excerpt from my disclosure document to explain what this policy entails: "In this class, we ask you to be prepared at all times. This means coming to class with paper, pencils, your notebook, any assignments, your writer’s notebook, and any reading material for the class. If you are not prepared and ask to return to your locker, we will implement the “Sing for Your Supper” Policy.

“Sing for Your Supper” is a saying that means you cannot get something for nothing. Going to your locker to get things you “forgot” or didn’t have time to grab because you were “late coming in from lunch” is a privilege, and you must earn it. If you must go back to your locker, you will have the option to “sing for your supper,” which in our class means you must dance. For 30-45 seconds. To music of our choosing. In front of the class. We will not force anyone to dance if you do not want to. You may choose the other option: go without materials. We don’t do it because we don’t like you. We do it because we want you to be responsible and prepared. And because we love dancing."

So let me tell you about Weston. Weston Marsden is one of the funniest kids I know. He had an unfortunate accident a few years ago that left him slightly...weird in the head. So he forgets a lot. But he also uses it for a crutch, but you can't get mad at the kid because he's hilarious. Let me give you an example: One day, while I was reading out loud to the class, I heard giggling. I looked up from my book to find Weston army crawling underneath the desks and people's feet. I stopped and gave my best "What the hell are you doing" teacher look. I mean, I brought out the pointy eyebrow and everything. I said, "Weston, what the hell are you doing?" (I cuss in class occasionally).

"Going on an adventure." I tried to not laugh. But it really was funny. I later found out that he was really trying to play Hide 'N Seek. He didn't think he'd get caught. So anyway, one day Weston said he needed to go back to his locker because he forgot his book. This was the third trip, mind you. So, I decided to implement the Sing For Your Supper Policy. So, I picked a CD and found the most dace-able music alive: "Can't Get Enough (of Your Love, Babe)" by Mr. Dark Chocolate himself, Barry White. Well, Weston was at a loss of what to do. So I helped him out a little. And someone caught it on video. Damn the cell phones!

And then he posted it on You Tube. And I am going to put it under my Friends Family and Whatnot because I can't figure out how to get it from You Tube to here. I'll put it on this blog when my student gets it on DVD for me. Anyway, have a nice long laugh at me shaking my huge booty.

8 comments:

  1. Sarah!! I just saw your blog on Francine's and I must say....Love it!! You are an incredible writer and very interesting. Can't wait to read more.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is seriously the FUNNIEST thing I have ever seen. I'm sure your students love you.

    On the other hand, I can't believe those kids and cell phones! You high school teachers have to be so careful now, one bad day caught on a video cam can really do some damage these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just watched the Utube video.....not only did I love the dance, but I just purchased the song on iTunes....thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!! I see you have not lost your groove. That was awesome. I would like to see more of those clips! Tell your students to keep posting. Way cool policy by the way...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah that was AWEsome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sarah! Natalie showed me the video and I loved it! You're quite the dancer! That's the funniest policy you have- I must say that I would NEVER forget anything if I was in your class!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't know you could shake it like that. You go girl! (As Aspen now says)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous8:52 PM

    I must say, even though I don't know you, Weston is an amazing guy!! He's my best friend so I'm not surprised he would do something like that. :) You're not a bad daner yourself!:D So ya.

    ReplyDelete

What It's Like Grading Papers: A Play in Two Scenes

Cast:  • Person #1 • Person #2 • John Doe • Person #3 Person #1 is sitting at a desk, writing something. Person #2 Enters with a Joh...