Thursday, May 24, 2012

F. Scott Fitzgerald Had Problems and His Wife Was Crazy

But he did, perhaps write the Great American Novel.  As many people know, The Great Gatsby is my all time favorite book for many reasons, which I will not detail.  So how perfect is it and my favorite book, the book that started my love affair with language, is pairing up with one of my favorite directors of all time, Baz Luhrmann? I would say just about as perfect as ever.  I am sure, when the time comes, people will ask me, since I've read the book at least 35 times, probably more, if the movie is any good.  So, about 6 months before the premier, I have a list of things that MUST be included in the movie in order for me to truly approve:

1.  Three Daisy quotes (or reference to the quotes): "Fine, I'm glad she's a girl.  And I hope she'll be a fool.  A beautiful little fool," "They're such beautiful shirts.  It makes me sad because they're such beautiful shirts," and finally, "Oh, look at those clouds.  I wish I could take one of those pink clouds and put you in it and push you around."  Weird quotes, all three of them.  Probably the weirdest of the book.  They are also the reasons I LOVE Daisy.

2. Human molars as Wolfsheim's cuff-links.  This isn't a deal breaker, but I think it's important, and if you've read the book, you know why.

3. Owl-Eyes in the library.  Very telling scene, if you know what to look for.

4. The car accident.  I won't tell you much about it, since it will ruin the BEST PART OF THE WHOLE BOOK, but it's good.  Best gory description ever.

5.  Chapter 7 must be EXPLOSIVE.  I've pictured serious yelling and a nervous breakdown all these years, and I have yet to see a good version of Chapter 7.  Best chapter in the book.  I used to have Chapter 7 Party Days in class, it's that good.  You should read it.

And judging by the trailer, it will probably be the best movie ever.  I'm pretty sure.  I watched this and I started having heart palpitations.

4 comments:

  1. I am SO excited for this movie! Thank you for making the book so enjoyable to learn. It's my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched the trailer last night and thought of you. I'm kind of wishing I still taught 10th grade!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm kind of wishing I still taught it, too. I haven't missed my job too much, until the end of March. Spring means Gatsby Season in my life, and it felt like December without Christmas. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete

What It's Like Grading Papers: A Play in Two Scenes

Cast:  • Person #1 • Person #2 • John Doe • Person #3 Person #1 is sitting at a desk, writing something. Person #2 Enters with a Joh...