Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Father's Day


Happy Father's Day, Joe!  This is officially Joe's very first father's day ever, and I must say, I have done a dismal job in celebrating.  I didn't get him a present, I made him take care of Alice (because he feels sad that Alice wants me most of the time; she's a Mommy's Girl), and we actually got in a fight--I KNOW!  A fight on Father's Day.  And it was mostly my fault.  I did, however, allow him to stay home from church (his only Father's Day request.  He hasn't been feeling well, but I've been dragging him around all weekend anyway).  Maybe that's why we were fighting?  Hmmmm.....

Anyway, I just want my wonderful husband to know how impressed I have been with him these last 7 weeks that he has been a daddy.  He volunteered to change the first poopy diaper.  VOLUNTEERED!  What a guy.  The first week Alice was home, I had a cold and couldn't hold Alice at all, and I had to wear a mask around the house.  Joe did everything: he changed all the diapers, he did all the late night feedings, and he did all the baby holding.  And he was so sweet to me, getting me popsicles and noodle soup!  He has been the best daddy to Alice--she perks up when she hears his voice, and she gets excited when he comes home.  

Joe has the courage to do things that I won't do for Alice--like listen to her "cry it out" when she's really tired and just needs to cry.  I can't do it.  So he sends me away, and he will listen to her cry, even though it breaks his heart, too.  I can't wait until Alice is old enough to play games with her daddy.  Right now, she isn't that responsive to his attempts, but it will soon change, I am sure.  I hold Alice all the time and try to savor every moment because I know that in a couple of months, when she needs more than food and a pair of arms that will hold her while she falls asleep, she will cease being a Mommy's Girl and begin being a Daddy's girl--Daddy is so much more fun than Mommy!  

Joe, I love more than I ever believed I would love anyone.  You made me a Mommy and a wife, and you have shown me how a man is supposed to love a woman.  I am living a life I never thought I would be lucky enough to live, and it's all because of you.  I love you, Alice loves you, and we are the luckiest girls in the whole entire world!

3 comments:

  1. I can't tell if its the hormones on my end or that was a really...really sweet! We love Joe Happy Fathers day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your note to Joe. Way to go Joe on helping out so much. We Moms need it! Keep it up....and Sarah, I love that you hold Alice so much. You'll look back and be glad you did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you so much cutie! Joe

    ReplyDelete

What It's Like Grading Papers: A Play in Two Scenes

Cast:  • Person #1 • Person #2 • John Doe • Person #3 Person #1 is sitting at a desk, writing something. Person #2 Enters with a Joh...