Thursday, April 07, 2011

So Remember When

I was doing those cute posts about how I met my husband, fell in love, and here we are 6 years later? No? Well, that's what I was leading up to. I was going to chronicle March 12, March 18, and March 19, our first three dates, and end with a stirring, yet upbeat, post on March 19 about how I knew then, on our third date, that I was going to marry this guy, and that guy's birthday was March 19th, and then talk about how I did marry him, how much I love him, and then tease him about being 35. Because, of course, I am still in my 20s (barely), so how old is he to be only 5 years away from 40?

That was the intention. And then some evil cold/allergies I don't know what descended upon our family. First, I had a little head cold, then Alice caught it, followed by a horrible, vomit-inducing cough (which, thankfully only induced twice--both times when I was holding her, by the way), which she suffered from for about two weeks. I was feeling fine, and this week she finally started to pull out of it when Joe came down with the cold/allergies. And it is easier taking care of Alice when she is sick than Joe. At least Alice will be happy between bouts. Joe is miserable. Constantly.

And dear, I love you, but we all feel crummy. I know you are achy, your head is stuffed, your ears are stuffed, and it's settling in your chest and you can't sleep. I can't sleep either, because I have a stiff neck (from trying to sleep on my stomach, but since the baby has taken that region over, I end up sleeping on my side, but twisted--it's weird) and I a miserable, too. But I do not think you are going to die, and I do not think you are going to catch pneumonia, and I do not think you are going to permanently lose your hearing in your left ear. I am sorry. I am not a very patient nurse.

So, the cold that I had for a week went away (except for a stuffy nose--is that allergies?) for a week while Alice was sick, and since Alice has gotten better, has reappeared with a vengeance. My eyes are leaky and swollen, my nose is constantly stuffed, and this morning I woke to a cough that induced vomit-like reactions (though I have yet to vomit). It's back. And Joe is still sick. And I am tired, since I didn't sleep last night, and at work, since I have to be, and Joe went to work (even though he has a tendency to break parts when he's sick and tired), and I have to make up a root word quiz and go buy a cake at Costco during my lunch break (which, by the way, is only 30 minutes) for my student teacher, who is leaving at exactly the WRONG time. And on top of that, I look like crap because I don't care.

And that is why I didn't get a chance to finish my wonderful, upbeat series to my husband. I am so sorry. Here's the nutshell version: I married him. I love him. He's a super guy. He's a neat dad. And we are both miserable when we are sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What It's Like Grading Papers: A Play in Two Scenes

Cast:  • Person #1 • Person #2 • John Doe • Person #3 Person #1 is sitting at a desk, writing something. Person #2 Enters with a Joh...