Friday, April 29, 2011

Cloth Diaper Flats and Handwashing Challenge

I don't know if anyone knows, but I am thinking of cloth diapering Baby Bingham #2, and I have been doing a lot of research about costs, different diapers, etc. I have found that cloth diapering can be as expensive or inexpensive as you want it to be, with flats (a large piece of cotton) the cheapest option.

In the news lately, there have been stories of people who, unable to purchase new diapers, have been reusing disposable diapers by blow-drying them if they are wet, or having their children sit in their poop for hours at a time to make the diapers last longer. A lot of little kids have been getting sick, even a few dying because of the infection this is causing.

By perusing through some cloth diaper blogs, I have found someone over at Dirty Diaper Laundry who is sponsoring the Flats and Handwashing Challenge to help people understand that there are options for your child, that are quite inexpensive, to diaper your child--even if you don't have access to a washing machine.

I don't have anyone to participate in the challenge with (Miss Alice is going to be with Jackie on the dates of the challenge, and I would never expect someone else to do this for me), but I still think it's important for people to find other ways to take good care of their kids, even if they don't have a lot of money.

I will donate 12 flat diapers to anyone who would like to participate in this challenge. If you know anyone that can't afford the diapers and would benefit from 12 flat diapers, let them know. They can email me at cutiebing {at} gmail {dot} com with their address. I will order the diapers and have them sent to their address.

For more information on the parameters and rules of this challenge, you can find the information here:

Flats Challenge

3 comments:

  1. I always thought that cloth diapers would be so difficult to use, but becoming a mother has surprised me about what I'm capable of when it comes to smelly diapers. Also, not to sound like a hippy; but disposable diapers are quite a bit of waste. It might be interesting to try out. I'd have to think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend Helena had a few posts about her cloth diapers she made. Here's the link - http://familiacorrales.blogspot.com/search?q=cloth+diaper

    I love how much Alice talks! That is so fun! I wish I could hear what Lilly wants to say, they say the cutest things when they're so young :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you find any takers yet? If not, I'd be happy to post this opportunity on my blog! It's so generous of you...I'd take you up on it myself, except we're expecting any day now, so I really can't commit to the dates. Anyway, let me know! :)

    ReplyDelete

What It's Like Grading Papers: A Play in Two Scenes

Cast:  • Person #1 • Person #2 • John Doe • Person #3 Person #1 is sitting at a desk, writing something. Person #2 Enters with a Joh...