Wednesday, April 22, 2009

My House is Clean!

For the first time ever! Well, not ever. When I first moved in, I would deep clean my house every Saturday morning. But then I met Joe, and I had more important things to do. Ever since then, I have been teaching, or going to workshops, or watching the ever-important Law and Order: Special Victims Unit.

I don't like to clean. In fact, I hate it. I actually love working because it gives me an excuse to not clean my house. Because when I come home from work, the last thing I want to do is work. So I don't. This is making me sound like a pig, which I'm not. I try to keep the house picked up, and heaven knows Joe is so much better at this than I am, and he loves to help around the house---bless him. But I don't vacuum very often, the shelves see a dust cloth once in a blue moon, and we wear our clothes out of the laundry basket that has been sitting on the dryer for two weeks waiting to be folded.

But for the first time in a long time, my house is vacuumed, dusted, picked up, and the bathrooms even got a good scrub down last week. See, the trick is to make a cleaning schedule for yourself like I did about two years ago. And for the first time since I made the schedule, I have actually stuck to it these last two weeks I have been home. And guess what I figured out? Cleaning my house now take 45 minutes tops, because I only have to do the chores on the list--things like:
Monday--Laundry
Tuesday--vacuum, dust, pickup, and scrub front room and kitchen
Wednesday-- pick up, vacuum, and dust bathrooms and bedrooms
Thursday-- pick up house and mop kitchen
Friday-- pick up house, clean laundry room
Saturday-- deep clean bathrooms, oven, and microwave

I can't believe how much time I have on my hands, with my house clean. My brother and his wife popped in yesterday, with only like 20 minutes notice, and Joe and I didn't have scramble and pick up and psuedo-clean like maniacs. Instead, I just cubed some Velveeta cheese and melted it and mixed it with Salsa so I could have a little snack....Yeah, I served an hourderve (sp). I still don't like cleaning, but I like reading my books today on my bed (which was made, by the way) and watching recorded episodes of Glenn Beck (who isn't as funny as he thinks he is) without feeling guilt.

And I don't think this is all "nesting" stuff that's happening, because I am only making myself do this in the hopes that being up and vacuum will get this kid out. And it only took me a week of Spring Break to get me totally bored. I went the library yesterday and checked out like 8 books, and I am already through two of them. But oh well. I will be glad I had all this time to myself once this little person comes (any day now!) and I don't get a minute to do these things. Anyway. Just checking in...still here. Still big. Still waiting. Hoping my house doesn't get too messy before the big day comes.

5 comments:

  1. "scramble and pick up and psuedo-clean like maniacs" in the event of company... that is totally us. Although the rare completely-clean house is soooo nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can come and clean my house next...I don't have the desire, and or energy...I'm not nesting yet I guess :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not nesting...even just a little? :) State testing this week, so things are pretty quiet at school. The kids are antsy with the sun out, & Ken Garff assembly tomorrow...ick. I think they believe that school's getting out tomorrow or something! Oh...Kristen being moved to Westlake. I'm really kind of sad that we don't have female representation now.

    Anyway, good luck! We're all anxious to hear how you're doing. Take care, and enjoy time for reading...for now. :) I'll talk to you soon. Off to bed now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember those moments when I quite my job before Paige came. I felt so domestic in those few weeks before she came.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's to hoping you had that baby this weekend!!! :) I also awarded you a blog award (not that you have time to deal with it, but wanted to let you know). You can head to my blog to check it out later...when you have time. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

What It's Like Grading Papers: A Play in Two Scenes

Cast:  • Person #1 • Person #2 • John Doe • Person #3 Person #1 is sitting at a desk, writing something. Person #2 Enters with a Joh...