Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Effects of Baby

Disclaimer: Throughout this and subsequent blogs, I will be referring the Baby as 1) Baby or
2) He/him. This is no way "announcing" anything. As stated before, we will not be knowing the gender of Baby. I am choosing to use "him" as the preferred pronoun because writing s/he and him/her very tedious. Also, I refuse to call baby "it," and, being the level 1 Grammarian I like to believe I am, I cannot bring myself to use the plural pronoun "them," even though it is becoming more and more accepted. Therefore, despite the un-political-correctness of it all, I am choosing to use the biblical pronoun "he" to refer to both genders. In short, I choose God over politics.


It is very exciting to hit week 12, almost 13! Joe and I heaved a collective sigh of relief that Baby has made it this far, and it looks like he is here to stay! I have been very lucky, since I have almost no sickness or anything since Baby's arrival on the pee-stick, but Baby has been a little naughty so far and has had a stern talking-to.

Baby gave me zits. It's not that I have never had them before, but they were few and far-between, only occurring once in a while in my hair line when I used hairspray--thank you, Grandma Jones! (Those injuns have the best hair and skin.) However, since Baby's arrival, I have had numerous breakouts that not even Proactive is being very good at combating. I do realize that Baby is only a Baby and doesn't know any better, but honestly! So we had a little talking to, and I told him, very Super Nanny-like, that zits were not acceptable, and Mommy does not appreciate it, and if he does it again, he will be sent to time-out (which I am designating as around the bowel area. I don't know if that is possible, but it's really the worst place I could think of.) I think we have an understanding.

Also, I was wondering if babies can kick you in the head? Because Baby is giving me headaches! If this continues, it's time-out for him!

One thing that I am very grateful to Baby for is my figure. I know this is the part most women don't like. But when you have grown up battling weight, crying every time you come home from Weight Watchers, and not allowing yourself to eat even a little tiny cookie, you become grateful for nine months of not dieting. And, it's okay to gain a few pounds--not only is it okay, but you know why you are gaining it! Don't get me wrong, I'm not going crazy with food or anything. In fact, I have stuck pretty closely to my Weight Watchers lifestyle, just allowing a few extra points, and taking the workout down a couple of notches. And I am gaining weight. And for the first time in my life, I don't feel guilty about it. Thank you, Baby, for making me feel better about my belly, even though I am used to looking top-heavy (thanks, Mom), and now I look a little like a Star-Bellied Sneetch. (I am aware that no one else notices this shift. But I do. And Joe does. And that's all that counts.)

Besides the physical, Baby has affected me in many ways. I have never been one much for worrying. No matter what happens, things that have to get done have a way of getting done. This has always been my theory. But last week, I looked at the stack of essays, projects, poems, journals, and book reports that needed to be graded, and I thought about how I had to go to scouts, we were leaving for the weekend, I needed to put together a Christmas Program, and possibly come home from my weekend early so I could go to Relief Society, well, I started to bawl. I usually don't cry for things like this. I typically only cry when I am really really sad; I simply deal with stress. But last week I broke down on the way home from Blimpie and bawled. I think I scared Joe a little bit because he was trying to solve all my problems, which made me cry harder because I didn't want solutions. I can figure it out for myself! And then I started crying because I was crying and I'm not a cryer. I think I can chalk this break-down to Baby. And today, one of my sweet students came in and asked if I needed help on Thursday with stuff because "I looked a little frazzled" in class today. Which is weird because I didn't feel frazzled. I think I can thank Baby for that one, too.

But, I am so thankful that I have to deal with zits, headaches, Star-Bellied Sneetch bellies, and breakdowns. I paid a lot of money to feel this way, and I am so grateful I did. All in all, I am glad that Baby is here, and if he continues to behave himself, I think we will get on very well. I never thought I would be so happy feeling so crummy. Yay, Baby!

I don't feel like I am showing any that people will notice besides myself, so I haven't taken any pictures of Baby yet, but I will once I feel like I look pregnant rather than fat.

10 comments:

  1. Sarah,

    Hi, it's Katie, who used to teach with you before her husband couldn't find a job in Utah and she had to move. I just wanted to tell you how happy I am for you guys! Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited for you!! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad that we can be big bellied friends :). I hear ya on the zit thing, I am breaking out worse then a 13 year going through puberty. Proactive is defenseless against it. I'm so so glad that you are having a baby! I'm due May 31stish by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL!
    Oh, Sarah I love ya. You have the best blogs. I used to get the worst headaches...and nothing would ever really help. I am glad to hear you haven't been very sick, it is the worst feeling ever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry you've joined my blemish world! It is SO not fun. Oh, and when I was pregnant with Jack, I went through a phase where I had a headache every single day - no fail! It lasted a little longer than a month if I'm remembering correctly and that sucked big time (especially because everyone at work had to deal with them right along with me). Of course, all you can take is tylenol, so I kept some of those mini cans of coke in the fridge and used it with the tylenol for the really bad ones.
    ps. I love you music selection - I think I even added one of your songs to my list :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally understand and I was so glad to get it over with... but the after zits have been ten times worse! I didn't have a lot of headaches during my pregnancy, but they are horrid now that it is over! I am SOOO glad for you that you have not been sick. It was not awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I felt like a 12 year old all over again. A greasy, crazy, yelling, zitty teenager. I noticed i needed more nap time when I was getting my headaches(when I could...mostly on the weekends)or I went to bed early. I'm glad it you and not me :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just wanted to say thanks for the blanket!! It is beautiful! I love the color and the stitch is AWESOME!! I will confess that I have been using it more than tiny Reese. I told her she can have it back when she gets older and can learn to appreciate things! Thanks again! Love you always!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is wonderful news! :) YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so happy for you! CONGRATS and kuddos for not wanting to know the sex, that takes courage. I wish you the best!

    ReplyDelete

What It's Like Grading Papers: A Play in Two Scenes

Cast:  • Person #1 • Person #2 • John Doe • Person #3 Person #1 is sitting at a desk, writing something. Person #2 Enters with a Joh...