Wednesday, May 14, 2008

What's Up? I'm Really Going to Tell You

What's up? How are you? Standard questions, right? It's what we ask people when we haven't seen them for a while, or even if we have seen them, and we're just starting a conversation. But we don't really expect an answer when we ask, do we? Let's be honest. We really don't care. When I ask parents and Parent/Teacher Conference how they are, I don't really want to know about their divorce or their struggles with their youngest. I don't care. I want them to say fine, so I can go on and shatter that illusion.

That's why it would have been odd of for me to tell a friend from an old single's ward whom I ran into yesterday that I started my period ( I didn't do it, in case that wasn't clear). Picture it:
"Hey, Sarah, I haven't seen your for a while."
"Me neither! What's going on with you?"
"Oh, I just moved to Draper. What's up with you?"
"Oh I just started my period and I am really excited."
Weird.
First of all, this response fits into the category of TMI (too much information). Second, who's excited for her period? Not normal people. But I have this urge to tell everyone that I am currently surfing the crimson. Why?

Because what's really up, and how I am really doing is a very long story, which very few people know. Most people know that Joe and I have been trying for about two years to have a baby. We have been hellaciously unsuccessful. Statistics show that about 40% of infertility is female related, 40% is male related, and 20% is both. Guess who's in the 20%? (Our exact diagnosis is, quite frankly, no one's business). I believe we have received the worst news that someone in our situation could imagine hearing; however, there is a small glimmer of hope in our quest to become pregnant, and Joe and I feel that this is the road that we should take, and we are pretty confident it will work. It just depends on my having a period regularly. And currently, I am holding strong at a 36 day cycle (which seems long to most people, but extremely short when you're used to a 66 day cycle). So, now you can see why the intense cramps that had me in the fetal position during my prep hour was good news, and you can understand why on Sunday, when the Relief Society president asked if anyone had anything to share, I had to sit on my hands so I wouldn't blurt out, "I'm having intense cramps and bleeding like a slaughtered pig! YES!" (I am imagining saying "Yes" with an enclosed fist and an elbow at a right angle jabbing into my side in a very After-School-Special way). So in a couple of weeks, we will officially try again. Keep your fingers crossed, and if anyone thinks of it, prayers would be great.

What else is going on? I have gained ten pounds and I can't wear any of the summer clothes I bought last year. Not as exciting as starting my period, by the way. And my brother is getting married in ten weeks. The marriage is great news--we are really excited for that part. It's just the photography aspect I am not looking forward to. Yarley is pregnant, so she will have an excuse to look bloated. I don't. So what's up? I am dieting and exercising in the futal attempt to lose AT LEAST ten pounds before July. I know that sounds easy. One pound a week, right? Wrong. And this goes back to the baby thing. My body has a problem with losing weight. The effort to lose ten pounds for me is about the same amount of effort it takes my mom to lose twenty-five pounds. No quite fair. But I'll try my best. Maybe by July I will be pregnant and can blame my rotund new look on (what would be) the pea-sized organism floating around like a sea monkey. One can only hope!

So here's to losing weight, and here's to celebrating the disgusting feeling that is my period!

7 comments:

  1. Wow, when you say that you are going to tell everything....you mean it. You know that we love you guys and support you in all you do. You are always in our prayers and we just know that things are going to work out. I am not going to get to deep because you already know how we feel. As for the weight gain....maybe we could both work out together like we used to. I would love to kick 10 more pounds or more!!! Hope you have a good day now that you have gotten all of this off your chest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GO Janey-poo Go! man anything more then 10 lbs for me is like pulling teeth. I just need to make more time for it, or find a what to go to a gym.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the period! :) I never thought I'd say that to anyone. Good luck on the weight lose thing. If I only had 10 pounds to go I'd be kicking my heels. Unfortunately weight is a trial that I feel like I will face forever!! We love you guys and will keep you in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah, seriously you are a girl after my own heart. I think people may wonder about me sometimes because there isn't much I get embarrased about and therefore generally tell all. But I am really happy for you!! I was thinking after I read this that I bet your blog is a nice little outlet for this kind of thing, so I am glad you took advantage of it. Way to go...on the period!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, never thought i would ever say this, but really congrats on having a period! We will keep you in our prayers. Good luck on the weight loss challenge. I recommend a pedometer...it keeps you in check on how lazy you can be some days. It's good incentive for me to look at it realize I've only walked 3000 steps(barely over a mile), makes me get up and move. Now if only I could stop making cookies and eating all the dough twice a week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you would have busted out with that in relief society, I probably would have lost it! You are great, and we will definitely pray for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the Relief Society President writing :) Please humor me and say that next time I ask the question at the appropriate time in your cycle. I would love to see the expressions on sisters' faces! And, I have a pretty good view from where I am.

    ReplyDelete

What It's Like Grading Papers: A Play in Two Scenes

Cast:  • Person #1 • Person #2 • John Doe • Person #3 Person #1 is sitting at a desk, writing something. Person #2 Enters with a Joh...