Sunday, January 20, 2008

I'm Glad I'm Alive

So lately I have been using the blog to do a lot of complaining. Really, who wants to read that? So I thought I would write a post that talks about all the wonderful things in my life so you don't all think that I am a big cynic. And because, for some reason, I have been thinking in lists.

8) My family. I have two older sisters who have traveled a very long, very treacherous road at times, but they are here, they are alive, and they have beautiful families that they are doing their best to raise the right way. They might have fallen at times, but I wouldn't have made the good choices I did if they hadn't gone before me. Also, I have the most random younger brother. His sense of humor is truly one of a kind. Once a month, my mom and dad have a family home evening on Sunday, and it is always very loud--jokes, laughter, and little kids. The picture here was taken 2 years ago June. I am missing (I was taking the picture) as is my brother (he was on his mission--he's been home for about 9 months now) and Elise (my other niece, belonging to Nat and Joseph, was a zygote at the time). (People in the picture: Back: Joe, [of course, belonging to me]. 2nd row, left to right: Joseph the brother-in-law [belonging to Natalee], Pete the dad, Yarley the older sister. Front row, left to right: Tim the other brother-in-law [belonging to Yarley], Suzanne the mom, Taylor the niece [belonging to Yarley and Tim], and Natalee the oldest sister).

7) My job. I know I complain a lot about my job, but the reality is I really like being in front of the classroom, and I like it when students stay after to talk to me, whether it's to get advice about boys, or if it's to ask me what I'm doing this weekend.

6) My mother-in-law. Granted, we're not the best of friends, but I can never forget that she raised the man I love, and he is one of the best men I know. She had to have had a hand in that.

5) Rainy days. I know most people like the sunshine, but for some reason I love it when it rains, as long as it takes place in the spring. Rain bring so many wonderful things: puddles to splash in, cool breezes, spectacular lightning shows, nutrition to grass and flowers, and who can forget rainbows.

4) Talents. Especially the talents I don't have. When other people do things better than I do, I am so glad because if I tried it, I would be a dismal failure. For example, Joe has a talent of immediately making people feel comfortable. I, on the other hand, am followed around constantly by awkward silences. My dad is a wonderful artist, while my stick people look truly disturbing. I love it when we can help each other out.

3) Literature. Granted, I am an English teacher, but without literature, the human race would lose all its history. Think about it, there would be no literary devices like symbolism, or metaphor, or hyperbole, or poetry. Any one who does not think these things are important obviously hasn't read the scriptures, which in all actuality read like literature: Isaiah with his symbolism, Nephi with his poetry (several instances of chiasthmus--not to mention his free verse lament in 2nd Nephi--Walt Whitman can't hold a candle to him), and Christ with his metaphors (ever heard of a parable?) They teach, they inspire, and even if you can't understand what the heck any of it means (as in the case of Isaiah) it sure is pretty.

2) My health. Listen, I have had my share of medical problems, especially in the procreation department, but other than that, I have always had a clean bill of health. I don't have a serious disease, and the only time I get the flu is when I get a flu shot. I have the occasional cold, but who doesn't? I have no allergies, no asthma (the only one without these two things in my immediate family, by the way), I have never broken a bone, never had heart burn or indigestion, and if it weren't for my period, I would never have diarrhea. I can eat what I want and not get sick. Even my hickeys heal quickly! But my wonderful health has done me a disservice: I have very little patience when my husband, who has the whimpiest stomach ever, has the flu or heartburn. I say, "can't you just ignore it?" Sometimes he gets mad at me. But really, I am very healthy.

1) Joe. I know that Joe was meant to be my husband. Everything between us worked out way to perfectly to be coincidental. I sincerely believe that Heavenly Father knew that I needed someone who would tell me I was pretty all the time, and that Joe needed someone to tell him to trust himself enough to make his own decisions. So, I was prompted to move to Bluffdale and attend Riverton single's ward, and Joe's friend Bryce was prompted to invite Joe, whom he hadn't seen in 5 years, to the Riverton single's ward, where I was prompted to bear my testimony my first Sunday there, which caused Joe to think, "I have to find out who that girl is." One month after that, we were unofficially engaged. And I don't know if this is really true, but I think we are one of the happiest and most in love couples I know, and our goal is to keep it that way, clear until our Golden wedding anniversary. He is my Sweetheart, and I am his Cutie, and even though we have a lot of challenges to face, I am sure we will find a way to do it together.

So, this is ultimately the most cheesy post ever, but I really am grateful for everything I have in my life, and I feel most blessed to have the life I have, challenges and all.

6 comments:

  1. Good post. It's not cheesy; it's good to talk about the stuff you're grateful for. Oh, and I agree with you about the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you had to use that picture?? but then again there really isn't a picture of me where I am not picking my nose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the pic of your family. Where is Rory? I am going to guess he was taking the pic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if anyone has told you this, but you are inspiring. I am horrible at expressing my sincere/serious feelings, but I know that I need to become better at it. Thank you for being a great example!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry if you hate these tag things, but I tagged you. Check out my blog for details. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:14 PM

    come on sarah, i've been home almost 11 months. and all your base are belong to us.

    ReplyDelete

What It's Like Grading Papers: A Play in Two Scenes

Cast:  • Person #1 • Person #2 • John Doe • Person #3 Person #1 is sitting at a desk, writing something. Person #2 Enters with a Joh...