Monday, August 15, 2011

Is This Normal?

So Daisy sleeps. A lot. And poops. A LOT. I have always heard that babies eat, sleep, and poop, and that's it, but I never believed it because Alice only pooped once a day, ate on a very consistant schedule, and was awake during the day and slept through the night.

Daisy poops every time she farts. We go through crazy amounts of diapers, and she HATES a wet bum. People always say that babies poop a lot, I just thought they were all big whannies because I never had a problem with poop. I understand now. I went through one of those hospital packages of diapers in TWO HOURS. Is this normal?

And Daisy sleeps ALL THE TIME. Like 20 hours a day. She wakes up when she's really, really hungry--maybe every 2 1/2 to 4 hours. And then she goes back to sleep. If I'm lucky she might sit up for about 35 minutes, and then she goes back to sleep again. And then, she only wakes up like once during the night. I'm not complaining, but I'm a little worried--should she be sleeping this much? My Ped. says that she should be awake and more alert. She's not. I'm wondering if it's because she's a big baby--she can go longer? I don't know. I'm getting to the point where I'm worried that I'm not exhausted. I know this sounds crazy.

This baby is not schedule-friendly. With Alice, all I had to do was decide to feed her every three hours, and Alice just did it. Voila. Done. This baby? Not so much. I try to hold her off to eat every three hours, and do you know what she does? She insists on eating at 2 hours, 2 1/2 hours, or 4 hours. Not three. Never three.

You think that you know how to do this stuff because you already have one kid. Nope. I feel like a first-time mom all over again, worrying about every little thing, getting up just to check to make sure she's breathing, worrying over poop and sleep, wondering if everything is normal. The more I know, the more I realize that Daisy is, in fact, normal. Alice was not. Maybe. This is hard.

1 comment:

  1. Way to burst my bubble. I was hoping baby #2 would be easier. So, I can definitely say that Kaden was never a three hour baby when it came to eating. He was more like a 1 1/2 to two hours. Seriously, I felt like a milk machine all day long. As far as the sleeping goes, I say enjoy the rest. Kaden was a pretty good sleeper most of the time (not as amazing as what you're saying, but still good). We'd have to wake the kid up to eat sometimes. Can't wait to see more pictures of sweet Daisy!

    ReplyDelete

What It's Like Grading Papers: A Play in Two Scenes

Cast:  • Person #1 • Person #2 • John Doe • Person #3 Person #1 is sitting at a desk, writing something. Person #2 Enters with a Joh...