Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Short Tutorial

I hope I don't offend anyone, but since...I do anyway, why hold back? For all you bloggers out there:

1. If you have two complete sentences that you would like to combine, use a comma (,) and a conjunction (and, but, or, etc) between the two.

2. They're means "they are." There means the location. Their means the possession.

3. When you have an introductory clause, like the one here, you need a comma before the rest of the sentence.

4. A semi-colon (;) is a "soft period (.)" You use it in the same place as a period, but it doesn't quite end the sentence. For example, if I have two closely related sentences, and I don't want them to be separate, yet I don't want to use a comma/conjunction (see tip1), use a semicolon. Example:

I have a hard time reading some blogs; it would help if people punctuated.

4 comments:

  1. Sorry if that's mine. Sometimes I just type without much thinking. :-) I'll try to think about it a little more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that is sooo me. Sorry. I blame it on two years of my life using Kindergarten level English and then having children. I agree with the Japanese approach to language structure and have abandoned the confusing English ways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is this directed towards me??? My biggest headache when I am trying to blog is my over use of commas, and the dreaded.......

    ReplyDelete
  4. This isn't directed toward anyone in particular. Just an observation.

    ReplyDelete

What It's Like Grading Papers: A Play in Two Scenes

Cast:  • Person #1 • Person #2 • John Doe • Person #3 Person #1 is sitting at a desk, writing something. Person #2 Enters with a Joh...