Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Oh So Much to Blog About

And so little time to do it. But it's all coming, I promise. I have the most spectacular One Year blog in honor of Alice's birthday--alas, it exists in my mind only. But I promise, give me a couple of weeks, and I will be a blogging FIEND. Then, I have a great story about tragedy, love, loss, and wonder that involves a little girl's first birthday, an allergy-induced sleepless night, a call-in-sick day, a firing, and a little secret shop clean-out. Yeah. Needless to say, Monday, May 3, 2010 was a day that will live in infamy in the Bingham household. That little story will also be on the horizon. And the totally awe-inspiring moment that took place yesterday when I was trying to get the AT&T people to not swindle me out of $200.00. Just ask for a supervisor, and you get whatever you want--who knew? Also, something major to look forward to--an expose. Called Life Without DVR or Bravo. It will be emotionally charged and cathartic to say the least.

But, for today, I leave you with a little analysis paragraph written by one of my students in reponse the to question, "Is Gatsby [from the book The Great Gatsby] a liar?" It makes me happy. If you've never read the book, all I can say is that this book takes place in 1922, and there are not martial arts in it anywhere:

Okay, so we're reading the Great Gatsby, and I asked my students to write an analysis paragraph answering the question,"Is Gatsby a Liar?" There is a section in chapter four where Gatsby said he "lived like a young Rajah in all the capitals of Europe..." I do remember explaining to my students what a rajah was. But here's a paragraph submitted by one of my lovlies. If you read Gatsby you will understand why it's so funny... P.S. The "Jew with Connections" he talks about is Meyer Wolfsheim.
"Gatsby is not a liar because he is a ninja. He talks about being a ninja rajah in Europe while he went to Oxford. This matters because pictures of Oxford cannot be faked during the jazz age and the Jew with connections says he went to Oxford. Having back-up from the Jew means that more people were there, or knew he was not lieing. Gatsby is not a liar because he can supply evidence for more than one side of the story."
Imagine, after reading this book out loud over 21 times in the past six years, I have never caught on to the fact that Gatsby is a ninja. That explains so much!

4 comments:

  1. I miss the days of no DVR or Bravo. You will be surprised that you can watch just as much TV with a 10 dollar a month netflix account and shows online.

    It sounds exciting at your house. Can't wait to hear the fateful story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANK YOU for this paragraph. Made my day. Can't wait for all the future blog installments. Get going on that, please! =-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you have some smart ones in your class. I bet that kids parents are proud.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going to read "The Great Gatsby" again. I think I will understand it better knowing that he was a secret ninja all along. I am also looking forward to the great stories that are to come!

    ReplyDelete

What It's Like Grading Papers: A Play in Two Scenes

Cast:  • Person #1 • Person #2 • John Doe • Person #3 Person #1 is sitting at a desk, writing something. Person #2 Enters with a Joh...