Saturday, April 03, 2010

Alice's First Easter

Tonight was the first time we dyed eggs with a little one around. Or all the way around. This time last year I was dying eggs with a HUGE 8 month pregnant belly! I didn't think Alice would really care about dying eggs, since she is still so little, but I was wrong. She was so excited just to sit there and watch us get things ready and to see the eggs, and to play with the newspaper. You can't see this egg very well, but Joe made it. It says "Alice's First Easter." I am quite proud to see that he used an apostrophe in the proper place!

This is Alice before we started dying the eggs. You can see the bright red duct tape we used to keep her from pulling the paper close to her and tipping the dye. Usually I don't think of these things until AFTER there is a mess everywhere, but I was impressed with my incredible foresight. As you can see, Alice is super excited!

At first, I didn't really understand Alice's fascination with the eggs. I mean, c'mon. They're EGGS. But then I realized that she had never actually seen an egg before. She's tasted them, but those were post-shell. She grabbed one, and as you can see, tried to eat it. Shortly after this picture was taken, she realized it was hard. She got very excited and started banging it on the counter--something she has been doing lately with hard objects (she loves the noise it makes.) She was a little shocked when it cracked. Needless to say, we didn't dye this particular egg.


This is Alice post-dye. She was so cute and happy all night! She kept mooing at the eggs. These days, she moos at everything. That or makes monkey sounds. She's funny.

Alice trying to eat the post-dye eggs. Yes, Alice, they are still hard, even though they are a different color. This one didn't escape the counter top, either.

And even though we had fun, Alice and I still had a talk about why we celebrate Easter. We talked about Jesus and how he died so he could save us, and then how he came alive again. I'm pretty sure she didn't understand what I was saying. But it's a start.

1 comment:

  1. You are so good about letting her play with the eggs. I am too much of a control freak and would freak out if Kyler got a hold of an egg and broke it. Seriously, I need to relax and tell myself...it's just an egg. :)

    ReplyDelete

What It's Like Grading Papers: A Play in Two Scenes

Cast:  • Person #1 • Person #2 • John Doe • Person #3 Person #1 is sitting at a desk, writing something. Person #2 Enters with a Joh...