Friday, November 23, 2007

Tag, I'm It?

Not a big fan of the tag, I'm not gonna lie. I've always hated tag: the running, the touching, the running, the running, oh yeah, did I mention the RUNNING? I remember getting so tired when I was a kid, and just wanting to stop for one second, but then some little butt-head who had inhuman amounts of energy would smack me on the back, and BANG! I'm IT.

There was abnormal fear in Kid-dom of being "IT." You never wanted to be IT. In fact, you would all put your foot in a circle and chant some sort of rhyme having to do with dirty-dirty-dish-rags and hope desperately that your friend's finger would land on the top of your grass-stained tennis shoe and say "You are not it!" YES! In fact, we would all go to great lengths to proclaim "Not It," at the top of your lungs, hoping that you were the first for this proclamation, so you could run from the would-be IT. If I had been smarter, I would have volunteered to be IT and walked home to end the stupid game (just a side note, isn't it interesting that we never wanted to be IT when we were children, but we all thought we were the sh-IT when we were teenagers? Sorry for the profanity). At any rate, since the abnormal fear of being IT has been dyed into the very wool of my life, I was not excited to to be blog "tagged" by my lovely cousin, Cali, who I am guessing, was an avid tag-player. But come to find out, being IT in this game means I can sit back and write about myself! Two of my favorite past-times--writing, and talking about myself. So let's begin.

1. I have read The Anne of Green Gables Series (books 1-8) a total of 9 times. I was so into Anne of Green Gables when I was younger that I almost believed that Anne and Gilbert were real. I remember walking into a little trinket shop and seeing some sort of figurine and thinking, "Anne would just love that." And then I remembered that Anne was not real, and even if she were, she was living in Canada and there was no way I could ever get the address to Ingleside, where she ended up living with her six children, until Walter died in WWI. I am hoping for the day when Jeopardy has a special "All Anne" episode. I would be the Ken Jennings of Green Gables trivia. WARNING: The last movie in the Anne of Green Gables series called Anne of Green Gables: The Continuing Story is pure blasphemy and a slap in L.M. Montgomery's face. Thank you.

2. I take 30-45 minutes to peel and eat an orange. I know, I know. Crazy, so they tell me. First, I remove the orange part of the peel, that takes like two minutes, and the remaining 28-43 minutes consists of removing as much of the yucky yellow stuff (that happens to contain all the vitamins) as humanly possible. Joe seems to think it's one of those quirks that makes me irresistible...yet another reason I am glad that Joe wasn't a heavy dater before we met.

3. I want to get a Master's degree in Creative Writing. The reasons for this are three fold: one, because I have always wanted to get a Master's; two, I am mortally afraid of a Master's Thesis, and I figure I won't have to write a true thesis in Creative Writing...just something like a novel or a collection of short stories--something that requires little to no research and documentation; three, believe it or not, I really like to write (something I bet no one could know, based on the length of my customary blog), and I like to teach Creative Writing. Why not be in Creative Writing classes myself?

4. Once my sisters stopped going to Girl's Camp, I became the Girl's Camp Belching Champion three years running. It's not something I SHOULD be proud of, but yet I am. Poor Joe. Two weeks after we were married, I was standing in the kitchen doing something, and Joe was watching T.V. Suddenly, I opened my mouth, and out it came, a Champion-sized belch. He looked at me like he had just seen Big Foot. "Oops," I said, "didn't I tell you about that?" Joe answered with a resounding "No!" "Oh. Well, you're stuck now."

5. I once was the coordinator of the Almost Miss Lehi Pageant. The Almost Miss Lehi Pageant came about because my friends and I were upset that there was no "spoof" pageant for women. So we created one. The idea was that Almost Miss Lehi would go on to compete in the Nearly Miss Utah pageant, and if she won that, she would go on to compete in the Not Quite Miss America pageant. The requirement was that each contestant needed to have a platform, a talent, and give five minutes of community service. The first pageant involved me and three other friends, and was attended by five people. Almost Miss Lehi was decided by a very heated game of Paper, Rock, Scissors. Platforms ranged from "Better Homes for the Homeless" to "Promote World Peace: Give the World a Puppy." Talents ranged from roller-skating hoola hooping to interpretive dancing. We only had two competitions, but with pride I report the second and final year of the pageant, we had over twenty people attend the Almost Miss Lehi Festivities, and I was actually approached by someone who wanted to take it public and charge for the show. We were almost included in the Lehi Roundup Parade, too.

6. I love singing. And I think I'm pretty good at it, and if showers could talk mine would concur. Some of my favorite songs to sing are "You Were Meant for Me" by Jewel, "Stay" by Lisa Loeb, "So Far Away" by Carole King, "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow" by Carole King," "Natural Woman" by Carole King, and "Gravity" by Sara Bareilles.

Well, since I don't like telling people to be IT, I will volunteer and walk home, ending the game.

7 comments:

  1. That's cute Sarah. I love your new "blog-makeover" too. :) Say hi to Joe for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah I just want to tell you that I love reading your blog. You have such a talent for writing and I always crack up when I read it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah.....this is just another reason of why I love to be around you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:04 PM

    sarah, all i can say is... gross. that's about all i can muster now. gross. 9 times? not to mention you wore out those poor video tapes when you were all sick. shoot me. anne was a hottie though. i culdn't help but laugh when she died her hair green, good grief, what won't anne do? those kids. for some reason they remind me of gummy bears. you guys were mean to me as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:29 AM

    Hello! I enjoyed reading your blog. I found you because I am trying to work Lucy Maud Montgomery into my masters thesis. I have read the entire Anne series about 20 times, I know entire portions of Rilla Of Ingleside and Rainbow Valley by heart. I 100% agree with you, Kevin Sullivan's last Anne movie was horrible and I almost cry every time I see it because he slaughtered her character (and Gilbert's!) so much. I made my fiance' watch the first two movies with me, and much to my delight, halfway through the first one he went into the room and came out half an hour later with suspenders, a newsboy hat and a ridiculous grin on his, pretending to be Gilbert. Anyways, I just want to tell you how much I enjoy your blog, and that if Jeopardy ever does a special on L.M. Montgomery, I could give you a run for your money in the Anne books, the Emily books or pretty much anything she wrote. Haha!
    -From one Delusional Anne Fan to another,Cheers!- April

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Anne of Green Gables too, but I've never read the books. Does she ever marry Gilbert in them? I'll have to rent them from the library.

    ReplyDelete

What It's Like Grading Papers: A Play in Two Scenes

Cast:  • Person #1 • Person #2 • John Doe • Person #3 Person #1 is sitting at a desk, writing something. Person #2 Enters with a Joh...